Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Kirkgate Market Leeds


 
Leeds' Kirkgate Market, is a beautiful, sprawling building that is one of the largest indoor markets in Europe. It was built in 1857 and is a sight to see. The building has had some additions throughout the years and is extended even more by an outdoor bazaar. When you first walk in your nose is assaulted with a myriad of aromas that range from fresh fish to coffee. Within seconds you forget the smell and just take in all of the sights.
You can buy just about anything here: fish, sausage, meats, vegetables, coffee, furniture, clothes, prepared meals, baked goods, pizza, rugs, phones, ice cream, cards, spices, hair extensions, dairy, eggs, cosmetics, wine, beer, liquor, flowers, pet supplies, yarn, fabric, toys, candy, and mattresses. You can also shop in a Chinese Super Market, get waxed, have a fish pedicure or get your haircut. I actually got my hair cut there yesterday and they did a great job, for less than 5 pounds! As you can see it's a one stop shop.
The market is only a 5 minute walk from our apartment, so I end there quite often. I haven't bought fish or meat yet, but I will. So far I've just bought flowers, veggies and gotten my hair cut, Jamie Oliver has a cooking school on the premises, so I might have to take a couple of classes.
You can find more info at www.leedsmarkets.co.uk.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad to see you are exploring and enjoying your adventure! I am so envious. Looking forward to reading more. az

    ReplyDelete