Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Cornbread

The last time I made chili while here in in the UK, I had to forgo making cornbread because there were no little boxes of Jiffy Cornbread mix or cornmeal for that matter. Yesterday, I decided to make chili again and while I was in the organic grocery store I looked across the aisle and saw polenta. Polenta is of course cornmeal, so I now could serve up some warm, home made cornbread with my chili!!


Cornbread
  • Olive oil, to grease
  • Plain flour, to dust
  • 150g (1 cup) plain flour
  • 3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 170g (1 cup) polenta           
  • 60g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
  • 250ml (1 cup) milk
  • 60ml (1/4 cup) vegetable oil
  • 1 egg, lightly whisked
 


  1. Preheat oven to 220°C. Brush a square baking dish with the olive oil to lightly grease. Lightly dust with flour and shake out the excess.
  2. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Add cornmeal, sugar, milk, oil and egg, and use a wooden spoon to stir until well combined.
  3. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment