Friday, December 20, 2013

The Royal McGregor - Edinburgh

 
 

On Sunday night in Edinburgh, Dan and I ate at the Royal McGregor. Our server at another place recommended it, so we thought we would give it a try. We arrived around 7 PM and were seated in the small pub. The service in this place was incredible, 2 women running the place and having a great time in the meanwhile. We listened to some festive Muppet carols, much to our servers disdain, but with much joy in my heart and some other good Holiday tunes.

 
 


I started with a pint of Stewart's Christmas Advent Ale (3.65) and Dan had a 1/2 pint of Tennents Lager. My cask ale was so good, that I had to order another. For dinner I ordered off the Specials Menu and had the Roast turkey (12.95). This was a plate o'food with veggies, cranberry sauce, sausages and a wonderful roast turkey. There was also something that slightly resembled haggis, which I tried, but could not handle the consistency. Dan ordered the Steak and Ale pie (10.50), which was amazing! The chunks of beef were cooked to tender perfection and the plate also came with a nice helping of potatoes and green beans.
For dessert I ordered the wonderful Sticky toffee pudding (4.75) that was warm, sweet and gooey. Dan ordered a Scotch Whiskey Flight (13.95) that came with four regional whiskeys, water and dark chocolate to eat between the different ones. The bartender gave him a lot of info on what he was drinking and I helped with a few drinks of my own.
Wonderful meal, wonderful service and really good food helped to make this a night to remember. I was feeling so good, that I felt I needed to do the touristy thing and pose in one of those red phone booths!!
 
The restaurant is located at 154 High Street Edinburgh EH1 1QS 0131-225-7064
 

No comments:

Post a Comment